John Vant is a Ph.D. candidate in the Singharoy Group. In the Spring of 2018, John graduated from Eastern Washington University with a B.S. in Chemistry and Biochemistry focusing in physical chemistry. At Eastern John received a full ride from the Carper Foundation Graduate Preparation Scholarship and was a 2017-2018 Frances B. Huston Medallion Award winner. During the summer of 2018, John was a guest researcher in the DOE’s Visiting Faculty Program where he conducted high-resolution infrared spectroscopy research on ozone-depleting substances from which publications are currently pending approval. Since arriving at ASU John has developed molecular dynamics methods for building atomic models from cryo-EM data and made significant discoveries in bioenergy. John has also been selected as an NSF Graduate Research Fellow for his proposal on a “Periodic table of F-type ATPases”.
- John W. Vant and Abhishek Singharoy. “Periodic Table of F-Type ATpases”. In: Biophysical Journal. Vol. 118. 3. San Diego, Feb. 2020, 521a. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.
2019.11.2867. url: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2019.11.2867%20https: //linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0006349519338007
• NAMD Developers Meeting, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2019)
- John W. Vant et al. “Flexible Fitting of Small Molecules into Electron Microscopy Maps Using Molecular Dynamics Simulations with Neural Network Potentials”. In: Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling (Mar. 2020). issn: 1549-9596. doi: 10.1021/acs.jcim.9b01167
- A. Singharoy et al. “Atoms to Phenotypes: Molecular Design Principles of Cellular Energy Metabolism”. In: SSRN Electronic Journal (2019), pp. 1098–1111. issn: 10974172. doi: 10.2139/ssrn.3365009
- Mrinal Shekhar et al. “CryoFold: Ab-initio structure determination from electron den- sity maps using molecular dynamics”. In: bioRxiv (2019), p. 687087. doi: 10.1101/ 687087. url: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/687087v2
- Eric Wilson, John W. Vant, Jacob Layton, Ryan Boyd, Hyungro Lee, Matteo Turilli, Benjamin Hernandez, Sean Wilkinson, Shantenu Jha, Chitrak Gupta, Daipayan Sarkar and Abhishek Singharoy, All You Want to Know About Large System Simulations, Methods in Molecular Biology. (Accepted, pending publication)
- Vant, J.W., Sarkar, D., Gupta, C., Shekhar, M. S., Mittal, S., Singharoy, A., MDFF All You Wanted to Know About Resolution Exchange. Methods in Molecular Biology Elsevier Publications. (Accepted, pending publication)
Honors and awards
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, Arizona State University (2020)
- Leroy Eyring Memorial Fellowship, Arizona State University (2020)
- Francis B. Huston Medallion Winner, Eastern Washington University (2018)
- Carper Foundation Graduate Preparation Full-ride Scholarship, Eastern Washington University (2017)
- NSF STEM Scholarship, Eastern Washington University (2017)
- Board of Trustees Scholarship, Eastern Washington University (2015-16)